This is not your average service dog harness!
It is unlike any “off the shelf” harness or vest that claims to be for “mobility” or support. This one is properly designed to offer the support and security you need, and is correctly designed to fit the dog’s body to distribute weight and minimize pressure points. This harness is extremely durable, and we guarantee the quality and workmanship. This will be the only harness your dog will need throughout his working life.
Guided by a veterinary orthopedic surgeon, this harness design allows the dog to move, breathe, and work unencumbered by the equipment. Weight and pressure are properly distributed. User-friendly features make this harness truly accessible. Our harness does not wobble, shift, or pinch the dog.
Features, sizing, and lots of helpful information below. . .
Video: Measuring for your BLD HarnessMeasuring for your harness video
Document: Pricing and Measuring GuideDownload BAH Pricing, Measuring, & Ordering PDF
The BLD Basic Assistance Harness (BAH):
This harness is ideal for those who need counterbalance and/or pulling support, or who need to stay in close communication with their partner. Perfect for medical alert dogs. Also great for transferring to or from a seated position, climbing stairs, momentum, etc. Can be used as a part-time wheelchair pulling harness.
We have designed our harness with the dog’s physical structure and movement in mind, then added features to make it user-friendly. Special features make this harness truly accessible. Our harness does not slip or shift, making it most ergonomic and stable assistance dog harness available. The harness is flexible to allow the dog freedom to walk, breathe and lay down comfortably.
The harness is hand made from top quality solid black latigo leather and rust-free hardware. The saddle and breastplate are fully padded with layers of high-density neoprene and lined with thick natural shearling (real sheepskin) to prevent both chafing and slipping. This wool is comfortable, durable, breathable, and easy to clean. The girth strap has a shearling wool pad as well.
Need a guide dog harness with more support? This is it! Just choose the guide handle option. Unlike traditional guide dog harness that offer no support, this harness is properly designed for balance and stability. The guide handle is made from double layered leather. It is different than the traditional guide dog handle in order to maintain the integrity of the balance support of this harness. The leather handle mounts to the harness saddle with metal quick release buckles. The leather is soft but has just enough rigidness for a very good feel of the dog. Because it is flexible, you can grasp the balance handle without letting go of the guide handle. It also conforms to the angle of your grip. The guide handle also offers light duty pulling assistance and momentum.
Every strap is custom cut to assure a perfect fit. All straps are adjustable as well. Straps and parts can be replaced if needed. Replacement parts are available.
Easy to use! Quick release latches on the belly and girth straps make this harness easy to put on and take off the dog. No need to fumble with the adjustment buckles.
- Complete harness saddle with all straps custom fitted to your service dog
- Leather balance handle made to your specifications
- 3 D-rings on the harness saddle
- Great Fit Guarantee: Adjustment if necessary within 4 weeks of delivery (includes new parts and shipping if needed)
- Lifetime customer service support! We’re here for you anytime you need us. Harness includes our famous lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
How to order:
You may order online, call to place your order by phone, or visit the workshop in person. Whichever method you choose, we will work with you directly to be sure we have all the details we need to make your harness.
Custom Made to your Measurements:
- Every harness is made to order!
- Please provide all the measurements and details outlined in the measuring guide (download PDF, see pages 3&4 for instructions), including the dog’s name, breed and weight, handle measurement, etc. Watch the video to see how to measure. It is helpful if we know the name of the person using the harness (if different than the name on the order).
- You may provide the measurements and other details by phone, in an email, or type them into the “order notes” field when you check out online.
- We’ll call or email to follow up with you so we can make your harness to specification. Don’t worry, we’ll review the details and let you know if we have any questions about your order.
- Please know that we cannot start working on your harness until we have ALL the measurements and details outlined on the measuring guide.
- Standard size, $305 For most dogs 40-100 pounds, with a girth size of 25-34 inches
- Extra Large size, $335 For most dogs 100-150 pounds, with a girth size of 33-40 inches (recommended for some breeds with deep chests weighing 85 pounds or more, such as GSD’s and Dobermans)
- Giant size, $375 For dogs with a girth over 40 inches or weighing more than 150 pounds
- All straps are made to fit your dog’s actual measurements
- Need help with sizing? Don’t hesitate to ask! Contact us. We’ll take a look at your dog’s measurements to be sure you get a perfect fit.
- Fixed handle is permanently mounted to the harness and offers the best communication and stability between dog and partner. Made to any height, short or tall. Best option if you need handle available for a quick grab without bending over–double layered leather has enough body to stay mostly upright (it softens with age, but always has good feedback). It is flexible, so it bends if the dog goes under a table or into a tight space. This handle cannot be replaced or adjusted.
- Detachable handle clips onto special d-rings mounted to the harness. It lays down when you let go of the handle. This is a lower-profile option and can be replaced if you need a different size handle in the future. Handle feels a a bit looser than the fixed option because it has clips.
- Whichever handle style you choose it will be made to your measurements (see measuring guide or video for instructions to measure for the handle). If you prefer a specific height/length, just let us know. Yes, it is possible to have the balance handle, guide handle, or pulling straps all made at different lengths to meet your needs. For example: Some people prefer a very short balance handle and a long guide handle. We’ll make it to meet your needs.
- Optional sheepskin padding on the belly strap (recommended for very sensitive dogs and dogs with very short coats such as Great Danes and APBTs). Add $15. Most dogs do fine with the standard belly strap, so this is a personal choice for enhanced comfort.
- Pull strap comes standard with this harness. Or choose:
- Guide Handle, add $45. Additional handle option for guiding and leading work. This handle is designed for communication and feedback, so you can feel where the dog is going. Made to any length, attaches with quick release buckles and includes stabilizer straps. This handle is much more sturdy than the standard pull-strap (it replaces the pull-strap).
- Other modifications may be available at an additional charge. Contact us about your specific needs.
Other options and accessories for your harness (available separately):
Harnesses take 4 weeks to complete and are built to your specifications. (Contact us if you need it faster. Rush fee applies, subject to availability.) Shipping price includes insurance and tracking via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days in USA). Yes, we ship WORLDWIDE!
Important note: dogs should be physically mature before beginning harness work. Dogs must be physically sound and of appropriate size for mobility work. Consult a veterinarian to determine your dog’s suitability for harness and/or mobility work.
Please note that due to the custom nature of this special harness, returns and refunds are not available on this product. But we are always here for support and promise to work with you if you have an issue. See our guarantee page for details.
Service Dog Customer Photo Gallery