The best leather
We have selected top quality full grain leather for its feel and strength. Our leather is soft and pliable, yet far more durable than the average pet products. We use USA cowhides because they’re the best. Your leash, collar or harness will arrive feeling great in your hands, which will only soften more with use and age.
To assure durability, we use solid brass and stainless steel hardware. The standard solid brass bolt snaps used on our products are proven to be easy to use and durable (brass is chrome plated for silver color). A variety of other fastener styles are available to meet individual preferences. We avoid fasteners made from inexpensive die cast and malleable metals used by most manufactures. You will never find cheap hardware that would rust or break in our workshop.
First, we start with the best leather, then cut and bevel the edges of each strap. A strap is hand selected and individually cut to make each lead, one at a time. We use hand tools and special punching and braiding techniques to ensure a sturdy leash. There is no stitching to come un-done & no cheap hardware that would rust or break. Our technique allows quality control every step of the way, and for repairs if necessary. We guarantee our workmanship (or “work-womanship” as the case may be).
While BLD’s leather is most certainly “genuine” and has the “top grain,” these terms really don’t mean much. “Top grain” refers to the top layer of the leather that has altered or corrected, and as long as an item contains some amount of leather it can be called “genuine,” so we avoid this confusing terminology.
According to Best Leather’s excellent Leather 101 article explaining leather terminology, “Leather with the entire grain intact is called full grain. Full grain leather, even though it may have blemishes, is more expensive and more sought-after than top grain leather because of its durability and longevity.” Full grain leather is the real thing that has not been split or corrected; it’s reliable, durable, and last for decades under the most demanding use.
Natural Bridle Leather
Reminiscent of fine English horse tack, our beautiful natural Golden Tan Bridle Leather is from the best American tannery, 100% made in the USA. It is vegetable tanned with the perfect amount of oils and tallow for suppleness, durability, and weather resistance. This leather is simply the best on the market, tanned with NO dyes or toxic metals. Our bridle leather creates a supple, sturdy leash with a great grip and feels COMFORTABLE in your hands. Each item is HAND-OILED to bring out its softness and rich natural color. Right away, your leash will be very pliable and will only get better with age. Leather color may vary and will darken to a lovely chestnut brown with use and age. Solid brass hardware is standard.
Latigo is prized for it’s high tensile strength and suppleness, and this is the very best latigo available (made from USA native steer hides). Our lovely Black Latigo Leather has a refined, smooth texture and a nice give. Your leash will start out a bit firm yet flexible, and will very quickly soften with just a few uses; it is far more supple than any other leather you’ve seen. Rich black color will not bleed or fade because it is struck through the leather in the tanning process, not just dyed on the surface. Chrome plate solid brass hardware (silver color) is standard.
Leather sizes (width)
Small (3/8” / 7mm)
- Best for smaller and medium sized dogs Small yet strong hardware. Crafted with braids at both ends.
- Also available in a lightweight XXS option, by request, for dogs under 20 pounds!
Medium (1/2” / 11mm)
- Our most popular width is light enough for smaller dogs, and durable enough for large ones. Great for people who prefer a light weight yet sturdy leash. Medium sized durable hardware. Crafted with braids at both ends.
Large (5/8” / 14mm)
- Sized for larger dogs, size fits well in your hands. A good sturdy weight lead with large hardware. Braided handle, screw posts used for durability at the “dog end” of the lead.
Extra Large (3/4” / 17mm)
- Our wide width is sized for large, giant, and very strong dogs, yet fits nicely your hands for a good grip. Great for people who like a big, sturdy leash. Heavy duty hardware. Braided handle, screw posts used for durability at the “dog end” of the lead.
- Heavy weight bridle leather available by request for a heavy-duty leash.
XXL (1″ / 20mm)
- Extra wide width is heavy-duty, and sized for giant, and very strong dogs, or for people who prefer a big, fat, heavy-duty leash. Heavy duty hardware. Crafted with screw posts. Available by request on many of our leash designs. (Not shown in illustration.)
Special hardware requests and customized orders are welcome! Contact us if you would like something special or have questions.
SPECIAL SELECTION – 7 foot Leather Leashes (rare extra long length)$32.00 – $36.00
OVERSTOCK CLEARANCE – Leather Tracking Leads$40.00
DISCONTINUED 8×8 Lead™ – 8 ft. leather leash (shorter version)
CLEARANCE -Brahma 8-Way Lead™