Our Custom designed leash with Wheelchair Leash Hook Attachment (optional) is the answer you have been looking for. Client’s tell us that this is the ONLY leash they have ever been able to use without assistance, and love that they can finally leash up their dog and go out on their own. Our specially designed Leash Hook Attachment mounts to your wheelchair, and the leash has rings that drop onto the hook. It is safe, secure, and easy to use. The custom designed leash will be made to your specifications to meet your individual needs; it can have an integrated fastener-free collar and multiple length adjustments if desired. Tell us what you need and we’ll make something that will function perfectly.
This is the best quality leash you will find anywhere. There is no stitching to come undone or rivets to wear out. We use only the best and most durable leather that is always soft to the touch and only improves with age, or choose Brahma soft-grip leather alternative. Top quality hardware assures strength and durability. We believe so strongly in the quality of our work, we offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Custom Designed Quad Leash and Wheelchair Hook has the following components:
- Custom Quad Leash: This custom leash will be designed to meet your needs. The leash can have large rings that drop onto the hook. The rings will be placed so you can change the length of the leash for different tasks. For example, a short length for working close, a medium length for getting through a doorway, and a long length for relieving and retrieving. We’ll ask you a series of detailed questions so we can get the details just right for you. This is a super-custom leash design; we will work with you to be sure we get all the details right for you.
- Optional Leash Hook Attachment: designed to work on any type of wheelchair (power or manual). The hook attachment mounts to the frame or tubing on the wheelchair. It is super easy to install (no tools required). The hook attachment mounts with super sturdy Velcro wraps, and is lined with grippy material to keep it just where you need it. Yes, it is strong and sturdy. The hook itself is designed to pivot with the gravity of the leash so the leash does not come off accidentally, but the leash can be lifted off at anytime.
- Extender wrap is available to fit up to 4″ diameter (13 cm). Or a circumference of up to 10 inches (25 cm). Order the extender if using around wide part of your wheelchair, such as an armrest.
First, select the basics:
- Choose Black Latigo Leather, Tan Bridle Leather, or Brahma soft-grip leather alternative.
- Select the width
- M 1/2”(12.7 mm)–most popular, it’s not too heavy and is sturdy enough for large breed dogs
- L 5/8” (15.96 mm) (not available in Brahma)
- XL ¾” (19 mm)(very heavy)
- Color of hardware
- Solid Brass (gold color)
- Chrome (silver color)
- note: wheelchair hook is always silver.
Next, how would you like the leash to attach to the dog?
- a leash snap to attach to his collar or harness? See photos for hardware options.
- Standard bolt snap? This is our standard hardware, and it’s the most reliable. Brass or chrome brass unless specified.
- Scissor/trigger snap? Some people find these easier to operate, but they are the least reliable hardware in our experience.
- If there’s a specific hardware part number you’d like, please notate your preference.
- a built-in Fastener-Free Collar (additional cost)
- This all-in-one leash & collar is the perfect solution for people who don’t like fasteners or buckles. It is so easy to use! Simply place the collar over the dog’s head, and you are good to go. The collar slides open just enough to fit over the dog’s head and tightens just enough to not come off accidentally. The attached lead has a swivel to prevent tangling. Can include an optional handle loop if desired (shown in photos), recommended for those with extremely limited hand movement.
- Collar size: Small 13-16” neck size, 5/8” wide
- Medium 16-20” neck size, ¾” wide
- Large 20-24” neck size, ¾” wide
Then, tell us more about you and your dog and how you plan to use the leash. Points to consider…
- Would you like a single length of leash? Or multiple adjustments for different tasks?
- We can make one, two, or three positions with this leash!
- Every person’s wheelchair and dog is unique, so there is no “standard” length that works for everyone! The key to making this leash work safely is making each length specific for the task, to avoid excess leash that could get tangled in the wheels or caught on objects as the dog is working. We will ask you to measure.
- This leash is always made with adjustment in the first section of the leash. The leash can adjust several inches longer or shorter to assure the short position is exactly the right length. We’re clever like that.
- How to Measure for the leash:
- determine where you’d like to attach the leash to the wheelchair, and measure to the dog’s collar/harness for each position. We recommend using an existing leash or rope so you can accurately see how the leash will work in each position, and measure the length of leash for each task. Repeating each task and measuring a few times will yield the most accurate results.
- Measurement #1: working next to the chair. You want the leash nice and short, so there’s no excess leash to get tangled on anything.
- Measurement #2: going through a doorway. Go through a doorway with the wheelchair, giving the dog just enough room to comfortably get through the door.
- Measurement #3: long length for relieving, retrieving, etc. What is the overall length you’d like for the leash? (We recommend 5 feet or shorter. If it’s too long, there will be too much too much excess leash, risking tangling.)
- End of Leash/Handle style:
- Regular loop handle? – works like a regular leash when removed from the wheelchair. (Includes a ring on the handle to drop onto hook.)
- End with a ring? – more streamlined option minimizes tangling. (One could clip a regular leash onto the end-ring to use as a longer leash when removed from the wheelchair.)
- Detachable – allows you to add a part-time handle to your leash by attaching a 12″ Traffic Lead to the fixed ring on the handle end.
- Ring style: the rings drop onto the wheelchair hook. This is how the leash attaches to the wheelchair.
- Regular large o-rings – low-profile option
- Double-Rings – Double-rings (shown in photos) stick out away from the leash, making a larger target area for those with limited coordination. Most popular choice for quad leads.
- Other requests? Let us know if you have something special in mind.
Safety Note: Do not use with an untrained dog. Not for dogs that pull on the leash. This leash is NOT for dogs that lunge or are difficult to control, as this could be very dangerous. NOT intended for pulling the wheelchair.