Every harness is custom made by hand in our own Colorado workshop. Crafting each harness to order is how we provide the right fit for the dog, while meeting each user’s individual needs.
We proudly offer good old-fashioned customer service and excellent customer support before and after you place your order. Because proper fit is essential, we offer a Great Fit Guarantee on all made-to-order harnesses. Our famous Lifetime Warranty is standard with everything we make in our workshop. Please read our important notes on dog size, fitness, and suitability at the bottom of this description, or in the Complete Information Booklet.
BLD’s Everyday Working Harness (EWH)
- Y-Front design and exclusive wide chest and belly plates provide proper pressure distribution around dog’s breastbone and ribs
- Ergonomically designed for minimal impact on the dog’s gait and movement
- Two leash connection points:
- Front of dog’s chest
- Top of the dog’s back
- Six (6) points of adjustment for a perfect fit, even on “hard to fit” dogs!
- Rugged premium leather and quality hardware
- Comfort for all-day wear: No rubbing or irritation from synthetic straps
- Easy on and off with Quick-Release latches (magnetic latches available)
- Optional simple leather handle and Velcro skirt for ID patches are available
- Leather is more durable and comfortable than synthetic harness options
- Handcrafted to order in BLD’s own workshop
- Backed by BLD’s famous Great Fit Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty
BLD’s wide, ergonomically shaped belly plate is specifically engineered to distribute nearly all leash or handle pressure under the dog’s chest to minimize, if not eliminate, impact on the dog’s neck and shoulders. With a leash attached to the top of the harness (on the dog’s back), when the dog pulls into the harness force is directed under the prosternum and ribs to support the dog’s weight from the core of their body. This means the harness can be used for control or restraint while training, to lift/support the dog’s front end, for tracking, nose work, or other sports.
When a leash is attached to the front of the harness (on the dog’s chest), the EWH is a humane and effective no-pull harness that can be used to direct the dog’s movement back to you to prevent leash pulling, or to guide the dog’s movement.
The EWH fits loosely on the dog’s body. If you’re looking for a snug, stable, and supportive service dog harness, please see our Balance Assistance or Mobility Support Harnesses.
For Service Dogs:
This one harness can replace your nylon no-pull harness and service dog vest while offering simple handle options for your assistance needs. As with all BLD harnesses, this one is durable and designed for a lifetime of reliable use.
- BLD’s ONLY harness for both attaching a leash and personal assistance
- Optional Simple Handle (approx. 3”) offers assistance for the person including
- Momentum pull
- Getting up from a seated position
- Handle is low-profile and lays down on the dog’s back.
- Optional skirt with Velcro panel is perfect for attaching your service dog patches. (Patches/badges are available separately)
- A Clip-On Bridge Handle can be added for additional functionality (D-Rings on top are required)
As with all BLD harnesses, the EWH is specifically designed around the handle. The EWH will accommodate ONLY the handle options available for this harness.
Select the size based on your dog’s weight and measurements. If your dog’s weight and measurements fall into more than one option, size down for a lighter harness, size up for a heavier, wider harness. We will review your dog’s weight, breed and measurements to assure the best size.
- 40-60 pounds (18-27 kg)
- 15-18” neck size (38-46 cm)
- Choice of girth range: 25-32” (63-81 cm)
- Best for lighter framed dog with narrow chests such as petite retrievers, Border Collies, Mini Aussies, Kelpies, Cattle Dogs, most Standard Poodles and doodles.
- 55-85 pounds (25-38 kg)
- 17-22” neck size (43-56 cm)
- Choice of girth range 30-36” (76-91 cm)
- Most Labrador and Golden Retrievers, heavy/sturdy built doodles, smaller German Shepherd Dogs, Greyhounds, Malinois, smaller bully breeds, and narrower dogs in the 85 pound range.
Extra Large $290
- 80-125 pounds (36-56 kg)
- 22-26” neck size (43-66 cm)
- 34-38” ( 86-96 cm) girth
- Heavy/sturdy built large breeds, dogs with broad chests, most GSD’s, Rottweilers, large retrievers, Pyrenees, larger bully breeds and smaller Newfies.
- 120 pounds and up (54 kg or more)
- 25” and larger neck size (64 cm or more)
- 36-47” (91-122 cm) OR custom size larger
- Giant breeds, Great Danes, Mastiffs, St Bernard, large Newfies
Harness Top Shape:
- Regular Top, oval shape
- Includes O-ring for attaching the leash.
- Skirt with Velcro panel, half-moon shape (add $25)
- Features 2” (5 cm) wide Velcro to attach patches (patches sold separately)
- Great option for Service Dogs
- Plain, no handle or D-rings
- Add D-rings (add $5)
- Use D-rings for attaching accessories or clip-on bridge handle (available separately).
- Add Simple Leather Handle (add $25)
- Approximately 3” tall(7.5 cm) and permanently attached via included D-rings
- Control or restrain the dog if needed
- Support the dog’s front end while loading/unloading from a vehicle, etc.
- Allow the dog to pull into the harness
- Great option for Service Dogs –offers counter-balance and momentum assistance for the person (see Bridge Handle option if a longer handle is needed)
Latch/buckle style for the girth straps:
- Standard Quick-Release latches: metal side release buckles are easy to use, and are recommended for most purposes
- Magnetic latches are available for people with low dexterity ($36)
- Regular belt-style buckles only, no charge
NEW! Easy neck buckle option:
With a latch on the neck strap, the harness easily clips around the dog’s neck, so the harness does not have to go over the dog’s head. A great option for dogs with big, broad heads, and/or to make it super-easy to take the harness off your dog. Choose a buckle on the left side of the dog’s neck, OR both neck straps.
- NONE, original style
- Quick-Release style on ONE neck strap (add $15) Most popular!
- Quick-Release style on BOTH neck straps (add $25)
- Magnetic Latch style on ONE neck strap (add $25)
- Magnetic Latch style on BOTH neck straps (add $40)
- Natural leather: Our standard option is the most durable, lightest weight, and lowest maintenance option. Most popular!
- Smooth Lining: (add $40) (light padding and thin garment leather on the chest and belly plates)
- Shearling wool/sheepskin: (add $40) also includes padding on the top. Recommended!
Flexible leather handle with large spring snaps and a support strap. Attaches to optional D-rings. Size is the overall measurement of the handle from top to bottom, including the snaps. (Note: the functional length of this handle is shorter than the size, and depends on your dog’s unique shape, we recommend ordering one size larger than the length you want.) Available in 4 sizes, will be made to match the harness hardware and leather colors.
BLD’s Service Dog Cape/Vest is a utilitarian accessory for displaying identifying patches, increasing visibility, and holding essentials, such as medicine, paperwork, a wallet, phone, clean up supplies, or other small items. Includes Velcro panels for attaching patches (patches available separately).
Order a cape ONE SIZE SMALLER than your harness.
- Small (fits Medium EWH)
- Medium (fits Large EWH)
- Large (fits XL & XXL EWH)
Service Dog Accessories for the EWH:
Velcro Patch: $6-8 each Patches backed with Velcro stick onto the optional EWH skirt, or to BLD’s vest/cape. No sewing required! Choose one or a combination of patches to identify your dog’s status as a service dog.
Leash Wrap / Double Patch: $15-18 Specially designed as a leash wrap, this round two-sided badge Velcros around a leash or strap 1” or smaller. Looks great on the shoulder straps or the brace strap on a bridge handle.
Dogs must be physically mature and of appropriate size, fitness and soundness for the work you would like them to perform.
Not recommended for growing puppies. Due to the substantial nature of this harness, dogs should be 18 months or older. Additionally, the adjustment range is limited and may not be able to accommodate a pup’s rapid growth.
Dogs must be physically mature before training for harness work or performing high impact work, including pulling, until after growth plates are fused and joints are mature. Consult a qualified veterinarian to assure your dog’s suitability harness work.
Safety considerations: this harness is NOT to be used as a safety restraint. It is not crash test rated or intended as a seat belt harness, or a tie-out. Always supervise your dog while using this equipment, do not leave a dog unattended with any harness. Dogs should be physically mature to perform any load-bearing or pulling work. Not designed as or recommended for heavy or full-time wheelchair pulling, as this is a challenging asymmetrical task for a dog to perform.
Use only with handles & accessories designed and approved by BLD for this equipment.