The BLD Mobility Support Harness (MSH)
Our custom made Mobility Support Harness is designed to provide balance support and stability for people with mobility impairments. It is also wonderful for anyone needing good communication and contact with their dog where a rigid handle is helpful. We have designed this Service Dog harness with the dog’s physical structure and movement in mind, then added features to make it user-friendly and truly accessible. This is the most stable and ergonomic service dog harness available!
Guided by a veterinary orthopedic surgeon, this harness is design allows the dog to move, breathe, and work unencumbered by the equipment. Weight and pressure are properly distributed. Our harness does not wobble, shift, or pinch the dog. It is lightweight, sturdy, and very comfortable.
You can provide the measurements and details in the fields above, by phone, or email. We’ll follow up directly with you to be sure we have all the info. Don’t worry, we review your measurements and will let you know if we have any questions or suggestions. Give us a call at 303-856-3012 if you need assistance or have questions–we’re here to help.
Features, sizing, and lots of helpful information below. . .
Watch the harness in action:
Video: Measuring for your BLD HarnessMeasuring for your harness video
Document: Pricing & Measuring GuideDownload MSH Pricing, Measuring, & Ordering PDF
Fill-in Harness Order Form (email it to firstname.lastname@example.org)Fill-In Harness Order Form
Mobility Support Harness Features:
- Harness provides balance/stability support for the handler
- Custom made by hand to your specifications
- Rigid support handle for brace and balance support
- Handle is well balanced and properly supported for maximum stability (and will not loosen over time)
- Handle height is adjustable and folds down
- Handsome black leather with white stitching and rust-free chromed brass and stainless steel hardware
- Made with premium supple leather and real shearling sheepskin that is durable and easy to clean
- Reflective strips on handle for safety
- Easy to put on and take off the dog with 2 quick release clasps
- All straps are adjustable
- Fully padded, with no hard edges or synthetic materials to irritate the dog (padding is optional on belly strap)
- Allows dog proper freedom of movement
- Harness flexes with movement, and conforms to the dog’s anatomy
- Lightweight: weighs less than 2.5 lb. (under 3 pounds for XL size)
- Orthopedic Veterinarian and canine physical therapist approved
- Designed with replaceable straps and handle to re-fit as needed: Replacement parts are available:
- Complete harness saddle with straps custom made to fit your dog’s measurements
- Folding rigid brace handle, custom made to desired height up to 8” tall (taller handle available with upgrade)
- Three D-rings on the back of harness for attaching accessories
- Great Fit Guarantee: fit adjustment if necessary within 4 weeks of delivery
- Lifetime warranty for materials & workmanship, excellent customer support
Custom Made to your Measurements:
- Every harness is made to order!
- Please provide all the measurements and details outlined in the measuring guide (download PDF, see pages 3&4 for instructions), including the dog’s name, breed and weight, handle measurement, etc. Watch the video to see how to measure. It is helpful if we also know the name of the person using the harness (if different than the name on the order).
- You may provide the measurements and other details by phone, in an email, or type them into the “order notes” field when you check out online.
- We’ll call or email to follow up with you so we can make your harness to your specifications. Don’t worry, we’ll review the details and let you know if we have any questions about your order.
- Please know that we cannot start working on your harness until we have ALL the measurements and details outlined on the measuring guide. Delays in getting us the information we need may delay your order.
- Standard size, $425
For most dogs 60-90 pounds, with a girth size of 26-33 inches (if your dog is under 60 pounds, please consider the Basic Assistance Harness)
- Extra Large size, $450
For most dogs 90-150 pounds, with a girth size of 33-40 inches (also recommended for some breeds with deep chests weighing 85 pounds or more, such as GSD’s and Dobermans)
- Giant size, $525
For dogs 140-200 pounds, with a girth over 40 inches (Tall handle not available on this size.)
All straps are made to fit your dog’s actual measurements. Please be sure your dog is of appropriate age, size and soundness for the work you are asking him to perform*.
Need help with sizing? Don’t worry. Just ask. We‘ll take a look at your dog’s measurements/breed/weight to be sure you get a perfect fit.
Handle size (rigid handle):
- Standard handle is up to 8″ tall (example: 3″, 4″, 6″, etc)
- TALL handle is 9″ or more (heavier gauge metal & reinforced support bars on harness saddle), up to 14″ maximum height.*
- Handles are made to your measurements (both height and width), see measuring guide for instructions.
- Handles adjust approximately 1.5″ up or down from the determined height.
- Note: The laws of physics apply. Handles 6″ or lower will be the most stable and are ideal for mobility work.
Available Options for the BLD MSH:
Choose from these options to customize the harness to meet your needs. Must be selected when order is placed, as these options are built into the harness.
- TALL handle upgrade: $30
Required for brace handles 9” or taller, up to 14” maximum. Includes upgraded support bars on saddle and heavier gage metal for handlebar. Please know that the physics of tall handles will apply more torque and pressure to the dog. Harness must have tall support bars to accommodate handles of 9” or more. TALL handle measurement indicate the dog is small for this type of work*.
- Ergonomic Handle Grip upgrade:$50 *Highly recommended!
Z- shaped grip allows for a more natural hand and arm position.
Choose left or right hand.
- Pull-Rings: $25
For people with limited dexterity who have trouble grasping a small knob, pull-rings can be added to make it easier to operate the handle folding mechanism. (Cannot be retrofitted.)
- Sheepskin padding on belly strap: $15
Optional padding on rear belly strap is recommended for short coated or sensitive dogs. (All other parts of the harness come standard with sheepskin.)
- Other: please let us know if you need any special accommodations. Some requests require a quote.
Accessories: click on links for details
- Extra set of knobs:$6 *Highly recommended!
Removable knobs hold the handle onto the harness. Keep an extra set handy just in case. Choose: set of 3 low-profile black knobs or set of 4 of self-locking wing nuts
- Pull-strap: $25
Adapt your harness for pulling & forward momentum to add extra functionality. Adjustable strap clips onto the d-rings on the harness.
- Guide Handle: $45
Flexible leather handle for leading and momentum. This sturdy handle offers excellent communication and feedback. Angles back for proper leading or momentum contact. Mounts to harness with quick-release buckles, includes Velcro stabilizers. Sturdier than the standard pull strap. (Not easily removable.) We generally recommend the guide handle length match the brace handle height, but can make it any length you choose.
- Cape/Vest: $55 standard size, $59 XL/Giant *Highly Recommended!
Specially designed for the BLD harness to hold essentials like ID, money, phone, treats, medicine, cleanup bags, etc. Has 2 pockets, reflective stripes, and Velcro on the top to accommodate the Velcro patch listed below. Choose RED or BLUE.
ID Patches & Badges: these items may be ordered separately. Many designs to choose from.
- Banner Badge $25 *Highly recommended!
Our special 2-sided badge that spans the handlebar (fits handles over 4” tall, up to 10” wide)
- Double Patch/Leash badges: $18.50-20
3” round 2-sided badges Velcro onto leash, strap, or side of handlebar
- Clip on 2-sided badge: $25
3” round patch clip to attach to a d-ring on harness
- Velcro Patch: $10
Hook Velcro-backed patch for cape, 2.5”x5”
MSH Replacement Parts are available:
This harness has been designed with interchangeable straps for the greatest flexibility; perfect for adapting a harness to fit a new dog or user. You may order replacement parts any time you need them. Brace handles are replaceable if the harness is built to accommodate the height you need.
How to order:
You may order online from this page, call to place your order by phone, or visit the workshop in person. Whichever method you choose, we will work with you directly to be sure we have all the details we need to make your harness.
Harnesses take 4 weeks to complete and are built to your specifications. (Contact us if you need it faster. Rush fee applies, subject to availability.) Shipping price includes insurance and tracking via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days in USA). Yes, we ship WORLDWIDE!
* Important notes: Dogs should be physically mature (growth plates fused) before beginning harness work. Dogs must be physically sound and of appropriate size for mobility work. Please be sure your dog is the right age, height, weight, and strength for the assistance you need. Consult a qualified veterinarian to determine your dog’s suitability for harness and/or mobility work. Tall handles apply more pressure and torque to the dog than shorter handles, due to the laws of physics, and may indicate the dog is small for the task. A dog should never be expected to replace the heavy-weight-bearing capacity of a cane or crutch, or move under heavy torque/pressure/weight on the handle.
Please note that due to the custom nature of this special harness, returns and refunds are not available on this product. But we are always here for support and promise to work with you if you have an issue. See our guarantee page for details.
Click here to see our Service Dog Customer Photo Gallery