The d-ring version can clip onto d-rings on other harness brands if desired. If you are using another harness brand, tell us the overall length from tip to tip that you need the handle to be and disregard the other instructions. Please know that BLD harnesses are completely designed to support the handle, so only BLDs function like BLDs. But yes, we can make just the leather handle for you.
Information We’ll Need:
- We will need to know the harness saddle size you have, and if the lower section of your harness saddle has D-rings or Quick-Release Buckles. (This part of your harness cannot be changed, so we’ll make the handle so it will fit on the type of harness you have!)
- Select the handle style–regular detachable, or stabilized detachable. The difference is WHERE the handle clips onto the harness.
- Tell us the handle HEIGHT you need (from top of saddle to handle grip), and your’ dog’s width so we can calculate the right handle for you. If you know the exact height, tell us. See the measuring instructions below.
- We may ask for a photo of your harness so we can be sure to get all the details right for you!
- Detachable handle clips onto special d-rings on the top of the harness–can clip to either the regular d-rings on ANY BLD harness or the special heavy d-rings if your harness was made for the detachable handle. It lays down when you let go of the handle.
- Stabilized Detachable Handle will clip to the lower d-rings on your BAH harness saddle. Stabilizes with special Velcro wraps that attach to the upper d-rings minimize wiggle and keep it in a vertical position. Handle will soften with use and age.
- Semi-Rigid Stabilized Detachable Handle this handle is reinforced with a stiffener for firmer feel (add $35). Just like the above option, but a bit stiffer. Note it is not a rigid brace handle–it will flex with direct downward pressure. It is designed to hold its form and remain more upright. The handle can lay flat by un-clipping the buckles, and allowing it to pivot back. This is our newest option!
- Stabilized Detachable Handle this handle is removable, yet is stabilized to provide excellent feedback and communication with your dog. Mounted low on the saddle with quick-release buckles, with special Velcro wraps to eliminate wiggle. Although it’s not super easy to remove, it is replaceable if needed. Highly recommended.
- Semi-Rigid Stabilized Detachable Handle this handle is reinforced with a stiffener for firmer feel (add $35). Just like the above option, but a bit stiffer. Note it is not a rigid brace handle–it will flex with direct downward pressure. It is designed to hold its form and remain more upright. Handle can lay flat by un-clipping the buckles, and allowing it to pivot back. This is our newest option!
How to order:
You may order online, call to place your order by phone. Be sure to let us know the length you need.
Custom made to your measurements:
- We’ll call or email to follow up with you for all the measurements and details if they’re not included with your order. Allow 7-10 days for your custom handle to be completed.
- We can help determine the right handle length, just let us know if you have questions and we’re happy to walk you through it.
- Follow the measuring instructions for the Basic Assistance Harness handle.
How to Measure for the right handle height:
- Have the person who will be using the harness stand wearing normal shoes, and allow their arm to hang naturally at his/her side. Be sure the person is balanced and comfortable. Measure multiple times for accuracy.
- Have the person grasp a pencil in the palm of the hand, as if he/she was holding onto a handle. With the arm relaxed and elbow slightly bent measure from the pencil to the floor.
- Measure your dog: Have the dog stand square and balanced. The withers are where the dog’s shoulder blades stick up.
- Measure height from withers to the floor (lay a book across the shoulders if you like).
- This hand measurement minus the dog’s height equals the handle height. See step two for measuring the dog’s height. (If your dog is taller than your hand, we will make a 2-3” handle for you.) This method is the most accurate. If you require a different handle measurement, please indicate when you order.