Our Traditional Leather Dog Lead is the best quality leash you will find anywhere. We use only the highest quality and most durable leather– it is soft to the touch and all edges are beveled for a smooth feel throughout the length of the leash. Each leash features top quality hardware that ensures strength and durability so that you can be confident in your gear. Did we mention that these leashes are quite eye-catching as well? The smaller width leashes feature braids on both ends and larger widths are fastened with screw posts to provide extra durability for large dogs.
Though simple in appearance, this leash was purposefully designed to be both beautiful and functional. There is no stitching to come undone and there are no rivets to wear out. Instead, the smaller width leashes feature leather braids on both ends and the larger width leashes are fastened with screw posts, to offer extra durability for larger dogs.
Leashes come in different lengths and widths– see information below about the available sizes.
- 30 inches
- 4 feet
- 5 feet
- 6 feet
- Lightweight XS (3/8” / 9.5mm width)–for toy and small breed dogs 20 pounds or less. Thinner and more supple option is braided at both ends (not recommended for larger dogs, or dogs that pull).
- Small (3/8” / 9.5mm width)—Best for smaller and medium sized dogs. Lighter weight leather is braided at both ends; this narrow width is very secure. Small yet strong hardware.
- Medium (1/2” / 12.7mm width)—*most popular choice!* Great for medium sized dogs, yet sturdy enough for larger dogs. Good for people with petite hands, or who prefer a lighter weight leash. Braided at both ends.
- Large (5/8” / 15.9mm width)—For larger dogs, size fits well in your hands. A good sturdy weight with larger hardware. Screw posts used for durability at the “dog end” of the lead.
- Extra Large (3/4” / 19mm width)—Sized for large, giant, and very strong dogs. Great for people who like a big, sturdy leash. Heavy duty hardware. Screw posts used for durability at the “dog end” of the lead.
- Heavy Duty XXL (1” / 25.4 mm width)— Extra wide for big, strong dogs, and folks with big hands. Heavy duty hardware. Made with triple screw posts on both ends (no braids)
Customize your leash!
You may choose to add features or special hardware to your leash order. Custom leads are our specialty, but please allow extra time for your leash to be custom made to order. Popular custom requests may be selected when you order.
Bolt Snaps are the standard hardware. These are the most reliable leash snaps we’ve found. TAN/brown leather comes with solid brass (gold color), BLACK comes with stainless steel (silver color).
The following specialty snaps are available by request.
- Scissor/trigger style snaps are available for 1/2″ or wider leashes by request; please know we don’t recommend these as they are not as reliable as our standard options (NOT available on small width).
- Locking Carabiner Snap (BLD exclusive) comes in all sizes; choose this if you desire a snap that can lock closed, ideal for “Houdini” dogs that somehow shake loose of regular leash snaps. Must be used in the locked position!
- Alligator Locking Jaw Snaps are available for XL 3/4″ and XXL 1″ wide leashes ONLY. These are heavy-duty snaps designed for working/police/military dog applications. Made in Italy from solid bronze.
Leather & Hardware Color
Our leather comes in two colors: tan and black.
Our standard leather/hardware color combinations are:
- Black leather with stainless steel/silver colored hardware
- Tan leather with brass/gold colored hardware
*If you would like a different leather/hardware color combination, select the option “Make with OTHER Color Hardware”.
*Note: brass hardware can stain white/light coated dogs. Sometimes the oil in dogs’ coats can create tarnish, a harmless chemical reaction.
About our leather:
Our Golden TAN BRIDLE leather is 100% American vegetable-tanned leather, made with NO dyes or toxic metallic chemicals. Reminiscent of fine English horse tack, this leather is superior in quality to any other leash you’ve seen. Every leash is HAND-OILED to bring out the softness, so your leash arrives supple and feels great in your hands immediately and only improves with age. The color will darken with use and age.
Our lovely BLACK LATIGO leather is solid black, and superior to ordinary leashes in texture and quality, cut from select USA hides. It is incredibly durable, yet is very flexible. Feels great in your hands and will simply get better with age.
Leather care is easy! Don’t worry too much, and don’t be afraid to use your items — we promise leather is incredibly resilient, and regular weather won’t hurt it. If you think your item looks dirty, dry, or just need a little extra love, pouring a little leather conditioner on a cloth, and rubbing it in like lotion will usually do the trick. Baths and a jaunt in the river are just fine, but you might want to offer a little conditioner to your products afterwards. Saltwater can be harsh, so after a visit to the ocean, a good rinse in fresh water and proper conditioning will help preserve and protect your treasured leash or collar. See our Leather Care page for more specific information.
We stand behind the quality of our products.
All Bold Lead Designs’ handcrafted leather & Brahma products that we make in our workshop are guaranteed against defects in materials and craftsmanship for life!
If your leather lead, Brahma lead, training equipment, or harness ever breaks or is damaged from regular use, simply contact Bold Lead Designs for a replacement or repair at no charge. There is no time limit. This is the best warranty in the industry.
If service is required, please see Warranty Claims & Repair Service below.
Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of covered product only, and does not cover things outside of our control such as chewing, neglect, misuse, normal wear, external trauma, or customer alterations. Bold Lead Designs reserves the right to determine if a repair or replacement is covered by our warranty. Items we don’t make in our workshop, such as accessories and consumable items, are excluded. Note: bldBASICS, any item sold as used or imperfect or marked with a star is excluded from this warranty or guarantee.
Limitation of Damages:
Guarantee/Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of product only. Bold Lead Designs, LLC, or its associates, cannot be responsible for any claims or liabilities beyond the scope of the guarantee. Chewing, neglect and misuse, customer alterations, external trauma, and items marked with a star void all warranties. No other warranties, expressed or implied, are made. User assumes all responsibility for proper and safe use of product and care of animal. Customer pays for shipping for warranty claims. This warranty is nontransferable.
Have a warranty issue? Need a repair or replacement?
Please contact us first so we can help determine the best way to get you taken care of!
If the product sustained damage under normal use, and is covered under warranty, we will make it right at no charge (just pay for shipping).
Non-warranty repairs and alterations may be available, even for chewing and external damage. Repair costs start at $5 plus shipping. We will provide an accurate quote upon assessing the damage.
What to do: Tell us what product you have and what the issue is. If you can, please email us photos of the damage so that we can determine the best solution (repair, replacement, or something else). Usually we will have you mail the item to us, in which case we ask that you send the item to us with a completed Warranty-Repair Form. Please download, fill it in, print, and include with your return.
All warranty claims and repairs must be accompanied by the form otherwise we won’t know what to do with your item when received. If you don’t have a printer, you may write out all the pertinent information on a paper and include it with the item. Customer is responsible for all related shipping costs.