BLD’s Mobility Support Harness™ (MSH)
BLD’s world-famous service dog harness is designed to provide balance and stability support for people with balance or mobility impairments, as well as for anyone needing good communication and contact with their service dog. We have designed these harnesses with the dog’s physical structure and movement in mind and then added features to make it user-friendly and truly accessible. This is the most stable, ergonomic and functional service dog harness available! BLD’s innovative harness design has benefited thousands of people around the world since 2009.
Guided by canine sports medicine experts, canine physical therapists, and a veterinary orthopedic surgeon, BLD’s unique harness design allows the dog to move, breathe, and work with minimal impact from the equipment. Weight and pressure are properly distributed across the dog’s body for optimal performance of physical assistance tasks. Similar to a horse saddle, this harness sits just behind the withers (or shoulders), around the dog’s center of gravity. When fit properly, it does not wobble, shift, pinch or rub the dog. It is lightweight, sturdy, and very comfortable.
Every harness is custom made by hand in our own Colorado workshop. Crafting each harness to order is how we provide the right fit for the dog, while meeting each user’s individual needs.
Proper fit is assured by our Great Fit Guarantee. Our famous Lifetime Warranty, plus BLD’s excellent customer support, is standard with everything we make in our workshop.
This harness provides vertical stability support and can be used for occasional light bracing, such as getting up from a seated position or for balance while standing (Dog should always be standing square to brace in these situations). Each MSH harness comes with a rigid metal support handle made from lightweight, high-grade aluminum. These handles are designed with a low center of gravity to distribute pressure around the dog’s core. Metal support bars are permanently mounted to the harness saddle and will not loosen over time. These support bars also feature support D-rings on each side which can be used for attaching other handle styles if needed.
Please note that the MSH is only for dogs over 60 pounds that are large and strong enough to perform this physically demanding work for their partner.
- Harnesses are custom made to fit your dog’s measurements and conform to your dog’s anatomy
- Handle and harness are designed to properly distribute pressure around the dog’s core with minimal impact on the dog’s range of motion
- All support handles can be folded down to allow dogs into tight spaces, into vehicles, and under tables/chairs
- Flexes with movement yet does not shift or wobble when fitted properly
- All straps have several inches of adjustment to fine-tune the fit
- Quick-Release buckles make it easy to put on and take off the dog—simply click together two easy-to-use latches; harness remains adjusted when removed
- Saddle is made with layers of neoprene padding inside to protect the spine, distribute pressure properly, and to be comfortable for your dog
- Sheepskin lining on saddle, breastplate, girth, and belly straps provide proper cushion to prevent pinching or rubbing, as well as optimal structural support for the function of the harness
- D-rings for attaching accessories, such as a cape, pouch, ID badges, pulling strap, etc.
- A variety of handle options are available for this harness
- Each harness comes with a Great Fit Guarantee—see the Satisfaction & Guarantee tab for more information
MSH Harness Size:
Standard MSH $585
For most dogs 60-95 pounds, with a girth size of 28-34 inches (best choice for most retrievers and doodles). NOT available for dogs under 60 pounds.
Extra Large MSH $600
For most dogs 90-150 pounds, with a girth size of 33-40 inches (also recommended for deep-chested breeds such as GSD’s and Dobermans weighing 85 pounds or more, and any dog over 100 pounds such as Rottweilers, Great Danes, Newfoundlands, etc.)
Giant size MSH $715
For dogs 140-200 pounds, with a girth over 40 inches (best choice for larger/male Great Danes, St. Bernards, Mastiffs, etc.). Sorry, not all options are available on this size. ONLY available with standard bars. No tall handles or pull-rings are available.
- Black: Solid black latigo leather is our standard offering. Because the leather is solid black all the way through it does not fade, hides the appearance of scuffs, and wears beautifully over time.
- London Tan ($): Gorgeous vegetable-tanned bridle leather. Color and shades will vary; each part of the harness may be a different shade. Tan leather naturally appears rustic and may show scuffs and wear over time; color may darken with use over time.
Rigid Support Handle: Height and Grip Style
Each MSH comes with a rigid support handle made from lightweight, high-grade aluminum. Each handle has a padded handle grip that is comfortable and easy to clean and features reflective tape on the sides of the handlebar for night-time visibility.
The rigid support handle is available in the following heights:
- 9-11” TALL* ($) Tall option includes heavier gauge metal and upgraded support bars on the saddle.
*Tall handles apply more torque and pressure to the dog than shorter handles. Not recommended for most users or any dog smaller than stated minimum size. Consider the BAH if a tall handle is required.
*Tall handles will ONLY fit on harnesses ordered with a TALL handlebar option
NOTE: Height is the distance between the top of the harness saddle and the top of the handlebar. Support Handle adjustment range listed is approximate; exact dimensions depend on the harness size and dog’s width. Measurements will determine the handle size you need. Handles can be replaced at any time with a similar height (excludes Tall handles as they will ONLY fit on harnesses ordered with a TALL handlebar option).
Grip Options Available:
- Straight Grip: Default standard option
Standard handle grip is ambidextrous. Your hand and elbow will be positioned directly over the dog’s body, with your palm facing back.
- Ergonomic Grip ($): Highly recommended!
Z-shaped handle grip allows for more natural hand and arm position. Arm and elbow are able to relax in toward your body while your hand remains centered over the dog. Ergonomic grip is comfortable and balanced for most people, especially those with hand/wrist/shoulder mobility or pain issues. When necessary, an ergonomic handle can be used with the opposite hand; palm will face upward.
- Handle Folding:
All support handles are able to fold down!
- Standard release pegs:
Standard release pegs are a small metal knob (dime sized) that pulls out to release the handle so it can fold back. Can be operated together or independently when the built-in locking mechanism is engaged.
- Pull-Rings ($): Highly recommended for weak hands or one-hand operation
For people with limited dexterity who have trouble grasping a small peg, Pull-Rings can be added to make it easier to operate the handle folding mechanism. Includes Infini-Key extenders for convenience. (Not compatible with guide handle)
The MSH has optional additional handles so you can customize your MSH harness for pulling, leading, forward momentum, and guiding. There several handle styles to choose from:
- Basic Pull-Strap ($):
This simple leather strap is adjustable and forms a 3-6” handle when clipped onto the standard D-rings. Good for getting up from a seated position, or occasional wheelchair pulling. (Not built into the harness, can be added anytime.)
- Support Pull Handle ($): Highly recommended!
Available in Flexible or Semi-Rigid Leather (most popular!)
The Support Pull Handle is designed for heavier momentum and pulling needs and can be made to any length. This handle is best used as the primary handle for those who need moderate gait stabilization, a sturdy momentum pull, or leading of any kind. Handle attaches to lower d-rings with spring snaps and angles back behind the metal support handle; the harness will be made with “mouse ear” loops to provide optimal pulling pressure distribution. Available as a flexible handle, or semi-rigid which is reinforced for a sturdier feel and enhanced feedback. Custom made to desired length.
- Leather Guide Handle ($):
Available in Flexible or Semi-Rigid Leather (most popular!)
Leather guide handle allows for light-duty leading or momentum. Attaches to the front edge of the harness with quick-release buckles, and angles back behind metal support handle for proper leading or momentum contact. Velcro stabilizers hold the handle in position (not easily removable). Available as a flexible handle or a semi-rigid handle (the semi-rigid handle is reinforced for a sturdier feel). Custom made to desired length.
*Not compatible with pull-rings as the handle interferes with and can damage the pull-rings.
Choose Latch Option for Girth and Belly Straps:
- Quick-Release Buckles (Default standard option): All metal buckles are easy to operate. Spring-loaded side release style requires little pressure to open.
- One-Hand latch operation ($): D-rings placed near the quick-release make it easier to grasp the straps and fasten with one hand.
- Magnetic Latches ($): These special latches are easy to use and are secure. Ideal for those with very limited strength and dexterity and allows for one-handed operation. The magnets self-align and hook closed when fastening the straps and easily release by pulling the red tabs. These latches include D-rings for easy grasp when fastening the straps on your dog.
- Extra set of bolts: Highly recommended! Removable bolts hold the handle onto the harness. Keep a spare bolt handy at all times, just in case (Your harness will come with a full set of bolts that include a pair of round caps and a pair of wing caps).
- Cape/Vest: Specifically designed to be compatible with your harness! 3 pockets and 3 Velcro panels to add patches (available separately). Only available with Quick-Release Buckle.
- Leather Accessory Pouch: Handcrafted from the finest supple leather, this zippered pouch is an elegant, luxury accessory
- Fabric Accessory Pouch: Roomy pouch with Velcro panel for a patch, assorted colors
ID Patches & Badges (available separately)—Many designs to choose from!
- Banner Badge: $25 Highly recommended!
- Our special 2-sided badge that spans the handlebar (fits handles over 4” tall, up to 10” wide)
- Stop Sign: double-sided badge $18
- 2-sided badges Velcro onto leash, strap, or on handlebar
- Leash Wrap double-sided badge: $16
- 2-sided badges Velcro onto leash, strap, or on handlebar
- Velcro Patch: for capes $6-$8, various designs
MSH Replacement Parts are available:
This harness has been designed with interchangeable straps for the greatest flexibility; perfect for adapting a harness to fit a new dog or user. You may order replacement parts any time you need them. Support handles are replaceable if the harness is built to accommodate the height you need.
You are ready to order a harness…Now what? Here is a quick list of the steps to take to place a harness order:
- First, select the desired harness size.
- Next, select the color, primary assistance handle type, strap buckle options, and any additional handles & optional accessories that you need. The Complete Information Booklet has more information on all of these options, and if you need further assistance, feel free to give us a call or email!
- Proceed to the next section where you will need to fill in the Measurement details.
- Finally, add any notes that you feel are important to your order.
- Click Add to Cart.
*Final price depends on the options that are selected. We will confirm your order with you directly within 5 business days. Upon receiving your order, measurements and details will be reviewed. Rest assured we’ll reach out if we have any questions.
Turnaround Time: Harnesses take 4-5 weeks to complete and are built to your specifications.
Contact us if you need your harness faster (subject to availability with a rush fee).
You must contact us directly to request rush service.
- 3 week RUSH: add 10%
- 2 week RUSH: add 15%
*Rush fees are added to the cost of the harness and harness options ONLY
Shipping price includes insurance and tracking via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days in USA). Yes, we ship WORLDWIDE!
Still have questions? Visit our FAQ page for more answers:harness FAQs
Harness Information Video
Mobility Support Harness by BLD – IN ACTION
Accessories: Harness Pouch
Accessories: Banner Badge
Accessories: Leash Wraps on Harness
Leather care is easy! Don’t worry too much, and don’t be afraid to use your items — we promise leather is incredibly resilient, and regular weather won’t hurt it. If you think your item looks dirty, dry, or just need a little extra love, pouring a little leather conditioner on a cloth, and rubbing it in like lotion will usually do the trick. Baths and a jaunt in the river are just fine, but you might want to offer a little conditioner to your products afterwards. Saltwater can be harsh, so after a visit to the ocean, a good rinse in fresh water and proper conditioning will help preserve and protect your treasured leash or collar. See our Leather Care page for more specific information.
Luckily, the harnesses are easy to clean and maintain! Simply apply leather conditioner regularly to keep harness supple & weather resistant and clean the wool lining using a brush and vacuum.
Your harness can also be hand washed if needed. Here is a video on how to hand wash your harness:
Important Notes: please read this before ordering
Due to the custom nature of this special harness, returns and refunds are not available on this product.
At Bold Lead Designs, we take the health and safety of your dog seriously. We have created these guidelines based on over 15 years of experience with this specialized equipment. Dogs must be physically mature and of appropriate size, fitness and soundness for the work you would like them to perform. Mobility, stability, and balance assistance work are physically demanding. A service dog should always be in prime physical condition to remain healthy.
Age, Size and Fitness:
Dogs should be at least 18 months of age before beginning harness work. The dog’s growth plates must be closed before starting to train a dog for harness work. This happens for most large breed dogs at 18-24 months of age and giant breeds need even longer to mature. Please allow your dog time to grow and mature as rushing into harness work may cause injury and shorten your dog’s working life. Additionally, if the harness is ordered too soon it will cost you significantly more money if your dog outgrows the harness.
Dogs MUST be in our recommended weight/measurement range set forth in the sizing guide for the harness to fit and function properly.
We want to see properly exercised, fit, lean, muscular dogs! Overweight dogs should never be expected to perform load bearing tasks; additionally, obesity contributes to serious health risks and can significantly shorten a dog’s lifespan. Consider implementing an exercise and fitness routine when the dog is “off duty” to keep him/her in good shape.
Consult the Pros:
Consulting a qualified veterinarian (orthopedic specialist or canine sports medicine physical therapist) is highly recommended for all service/assistance dogs that perform physical tasks. Radiographs (x-rays) or other tests may be recommended by the vet and are required by most service dog training organizations to determine if the dog is suitable for the demands of service dog work.
Harness users should consult a physician and physical therapist to determine what medical equipment is appropriate for their mobility needs. BLD harnesses are not intended to serve as, or to replace, a durable medical device such as a cane, walker, or crutch. Please understand that one should never lean on a dog to stay upright. Rigid metal handles must not be pushed or pulled on while the dog is in motion. Such use is not how the harness is intended to be used and could put the dog at risk for injury.
Fit and performance of the equipment can only be assured if the dog meets the minimum recommended standards, the user and trainer have reasonable expectations, and when the equipment is used responsibly for the purpose it was designed.
Our equipment is designed to allow an appropriately selected and trained service dog to reasonably assist a person with a balance, mobility impairment, or other disability that requires specialty service dog gear. BLD cannot assess a dog’s suitability or appropriateness. Users assume all responsibility for the safety, health, and care of the animal and human alike.
In your dog’s best interest, please understand that BLD may decline an order if we believe a harness could be harmful to the dog because of age, size, or unreasonable expectations.
The proper fit for each harness is assured by our Great Fit Guarantee. Our famous Lifetime Warranty, plus BLD’s excellent customer support, is standard with everything we make in our workshop.
Great Fit Guarantee
All new harnesses and custom service dog equipment come with a Great Fit Guarantee. Every effort is made to produce a harness that fits your dog perfectly. If we made an error, or a fit adjustment is needed, we will correct it at no cost to you within the first 4 weeks of delivery. This includes new parts and standard shipping. If inaccurate information or measurements were given when the order was placed, we will still adjust your harness or fabricate new parts at no charge to ensure the correct fit, but shipping costs will apply. (There may be additional charges for a change of size and/or features as well.) Sorry, no refunds or returns are accepted on all new harnesses and custom service dog equipment. We will do our best to be sure you have the right equipment, properly fitted, and we promise to be here if you have questions.
We proudly stand behind the quality of our products. Bold Lead Designs’ handcrafted leather & Brahma products are guaranteed against defects in materials and craftsmanship for life!
If your BLD harness ever breaks or is damaged from regular use due to materials or craftsmanship flaws, contact Bold Lead Designs for a replacement or repair at no charge. There is no time limit. Customer is responsible for shipping charges.
If you ever have issues or questions about your equipment, contact us at the workshop so we can help find a solution! Non-warranty repairs and service may be available for a nominal repair charge. Replacement parts may be available for purchase.
Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of covered product only, and does not cover chewing, neglect, misuse, normal wear, or customer alterations. Bold Lead Designs reserves the right to determine if a repair or replacement is covered by our warranty. Items we don't make in our workshop, like accessories and consumable items, are excluded. Note: any item sold as used or imperfect or marked with a star is excluded from any warranty or guarantee.
Limitation of Damages:
Guarantee/Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of product only. Bold Lead Designs, LLC, or its associates, cannot be responsible for any claims or liabilities beyond the scope of the guarantee. Chewing, neglect and misuse, customer alterations, and items marked with a star void all warranties. No other warranties, expressed or implied, are made. User assumes all responsibility for proper and safe use of products and care of animal. Customer pays for shipping for warranty claims. See our warranty page for complete details.