- Seconds: Minor issues that are unlikely to be noticed by most people, including aesthetic imperfections and minor flaws. Seconds come with our famous lifetime warranty on parts and workmanship. Items are marked discreetly with a #2
New bridge handles may be ordered by phone. Different girth straps may be ordered if you need a different girth measurement range. These optional items are only available by phone, they’re not on the website. All other components of this harness are permanent, no changes can be made, and no additional options cannot be added or changed. Handles for other BLD harnesses are NOT COMPATIBLE with this harness.download ewh complete info pdf EWH Measuring Instructions
BLD’s Everyday Working Harness (EWH)
At a glance:
- Y-Front design and exclusive wide chest and belly plates provide proper pressure distribution around dog’s breastbone and ribs
- Ergonomically designed for minimal impact on the dog’s gait and movement
- Two leash connection points:
- Front of dog’s chest
- Top of the dog’s back
- Six (6) points of adjustment for a perfect fit, even on “hard to fit” dogs!
- Premium leather and quality hardware
- Comfort for all-day wear: No rubbing or irritation from synthetic straps
- Easy on and off with Quick-Release latches (magnetic latches available)
- Handle options for added functionality
- Optional simple leather handle and Velcro skirt for ID patches are available
- Backed by BLD’s famous Great Fit Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty
BLD’s wide, ergonomically shaped belly plate is specifically engineered to distribute nearly all leash or handle pressure under the dog’s chest to minimize, if not eliminate, impact on the dog’s neck and shoulders. With a leash attached to the top of the harness (on the dog’s back), when the dog pulls into the harness the force is directed under the prosternum and ribs to support the dog’s weight from the core of their body. This means the harness can be used for control/restraint while training, to lift/support the dog’s front end, tracking, nose work, or other sports.
When a leash is attached to the front of the harness (on the dog’s chest), the EWH is a humane and effective no-pull harness that can be used to direct the dog’s movement back to you to prevent leash pulling or to guide the dog’s movement.
The EWH fits loosely on the dog’s body. If you’re looking for a snug, stable, and supportive service dog harness, please see our Balance Assistance or Mobility Support Harnesses.
For Service Dogs:
This is BLD’s ONLY harness for both personal assistance and attaching a leash! This one harness can replace your nylon no-pull harness and service dog vest while offering simple handle options for your assistance needs. As with all BLD harnesses, this one is durable and designed for a lifetime of reliable use.
- Optional Simple Handle (approx. 3”) offers assistance for the person including:
- Momentum pull
- Getting up from a seated position
- Handle is low-profile and lays down on the dog’s back.
- Optional skirt with Velcro panel is perfect for attaching your service dog patches. (Patches/badges are available separately)
- A Clip-On Bridge Handle can be added for additional functionality (D-Rings on top are required)
As with all BLD harnesses, the EWH is specifically designed around the handle. The EWH will accommodate ONLY the handle options available for this harness.
Select the size based on your dog’s weight and measurements. If your dog’s weight and measurements fall into more than one option, size down for a lighter harness or size up for a heavier, wider harness. We will review your dog’s weight, breed and measurements to assure the best size.
- 40-60 pounds (18-27 kg)
- 15-18” neck size (38-46 cm)
- Choice of girth range: 25-32” (63-81 cm)
Best for lighter framed dogs with narrow chests such as petite retrievers, Border Collies, Mini Aussies, Kelpies, Cattle Dogs, most Standard Poodles and doodles.
- 55-85 pounds (25-38 kg)
- 17-22” neck size (43-56 cm)
- Choice of girth range 30-36” (76-91 cm)
Most Labrador and Golden Retrievers, heavy/sturdy built doodles, smaller German Shepherd Dogs, Greyhounds, Malinois, smaller bully breeds, and narrower dogs in the 85 pound range.
- 80-125 pounds (36-56 kg)
- 22-26” neck size (43-66 cm)
- 34-38” ( 86-96 cm) girth
Heavy/sturdy built large breeds, dogs with broad chests, most GSD’s, Rottweilers, large retrievers, Pyrenees, larger bully breeds and smaller Newfies.
- 120 pounds and up (54 kg or more)
- 25” and larger neck size (64 cm or more)
- 36-47” (91-122 cm) OR custom size larger
Giant breeds, Great Danes, Mastiffs, St Bernard, large Newfies
- Black: Solid black latigo leather is our standard offering. Because the leather is solid black all the way through it does not fade, hides the appearance of scuffs, and wears beautifully over time.
- London Tan ($): Gorgeous vegetable-tanned bridle leather. Color and shades will vary; each part of the harness may be a different shade. Tan leather naturally appears rustic and may show scuffs and wear over time; color may darken with use over time.
Harness Top Shape:
- Regular Top (standard option): Oval shape; Includes O-ring for attaching the leash.
- Skirt with Velcro Panel ($): Half-moon shape; Features 2” (5 cm) wide Velcro to attach patches (patches sold separately)– Great option for service dogs!
- Plain, no handle or D-rings (standard option)
- D-rings ($): Use D-rings for attaching a clip-on bridge handle (available separately) or accessories
- Simple Leather Handle ($): Approximately 3” tall(7.5 cm) and permanently attached via included D-rings
- Control or restrain the dog if needed
- Support the dog’s front end while loading/unloading from a vehicle, etc.
- Allow the dog to pull into the harness
- Great option for Service Dogs –offers counterbalance and momentum assistance for the person (see Bridge Handle option if a longer handle is needed)
Latch/buckle style for the girth straps:
- Quick-Release latches (standard option): Metal side release buckles are easy to use and are recommended for most purposes
- Magnetic latches ($): Available for people with low dexterity
- Regular belt-style buckles: Only recommended for heavy-duty use
NEW! Easy neck buckle option:
With a latch on the neck strap, the harness easily clips around the dog’s neck, so the harness does not have to go over the dog’s head. A great option for dogs with big, broad heads, and/or to make it super-easy to take the harness off your dog. Choose a buckle on the left side of the dog’s neck, OR to have buckles on both neck straps:
- NONE: original style
- Quick-Release style on ONE neck strap ($) Most popular!
- Quick-Release style on BOTH neck straps ($)
- Magnetic Latch style on ONE neck strap ($)
- Magnetic Latch style on BOTH neck straps ($)
- Natural leather: Our standard option is the most durable, lightest weight, and lowest maintenance option. Most popular!
- Smooth Lining($): Light padding and thin garment leather on the chest and belly plates
- Shearling wool/sheepskin ($): Includes shearling on the chest plate, belly plate, and the top piece. Recommended!
Dogs must be physically mature and of appropriate size, fitness and soundness for the work you would like them to perform.
Not recommended for growing puppies. Due to the substantial nature of this harness, dogs should be 18 months or older. Additionally, the adjustment range is limited and may not be able to accommodate a pup’s rapid growth.
Dogs must be physically mature before training for harness work or performing high impact work, including pulling, until after growth plates are fused and joints are mature. Consult a qualified veterinarian to assure your dog’s suitability harness work.
Safety considerations: this harness is NOT to be used as a safety restraint. It is not crash test rated or intended as a seat belt harness, or a tie-out. Always supervise your dog while using this equipment, do not leave a dog unattended with any harness. Dogs should be physically mature to perform any load-bearing or pulling work. Not designed as or recommended for heavy or full-time wheelchair pulling, as this is a challenging asymmetrical task for a dog to perform.
Use only with handles & accessories designed and approved by BLD for this equipment.
The proper fit for each harness is assured by our Great Fit Guarantee. Our famous Lifetime Warranty, plus BLD’s excellent customer support, is standard with everything we make in our workshop.
Great Fit Guarantee
All new harnesses and custom service dog equipment come with a Great Fit Guarantee. Every effort is made to produce a harness that fits your dog perfectly. If we made an error, or a fit adjustment is needed, we will correct it at no cost to you within the first 4 weeks of delivery. This includes new parts and standard shipping. If inaccurate information or measurements were given when the order was placed, we will still adjust your harness or fabricate new parts at no charge to ensure the correct fit, but shipping costs will apply. (There may be additional charges for a change of size and/or features as well.) Sorry, no refunds or returns are accepted on all new harnesses and custom service dog equipment. We will do our best to be sure you have the right equipment, properly fitted, and we promise to be here if you have questions.
We proudly stand behind the quality of our products. Bold Lead Designs’ handcrafted leather & Brahma products are guaranteed against defects in materials and craftsmanship for life!
If your BLD harness ever breaks or is damaged from regular use due to materials or craftsmanship flaws, contact Bold Lead Designs for a replacement or repair at no charge. There is no time limit. Customer is responsible for shipping charges.
If you ever have issues or questions about your equipment, contact us at the workshop so we can help find a solution! Non-warranty repairs and service may be available for a nominal repair charge. Replacement parts may be available for purchase.
Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of covered product only, and does not cover chewing, neglect, misuse, normal wear, or customer alterations. Bold Lead Designs reserves the right to determine if a repair or replacement is covered by our warranty. Items we don't make in our workshop, like accessories and consumable items, are excluded. Note: any item sold as used or imperfect or marked with a star is excluded from any warranty or guarantee.
Limitation of Damages:
Guarantee/Warranty is limited to replacement or repair of product only. Bold Lead Designs, LLC, or its associates, cannot be responsible for any claims or liabilities beyond the scope of the guarantee. Chewing, neglect and misuse, customer alterations, and items marked with a star void all warranties. No other warranties, expressed or implied, are made. User assumes all responsibility for proper and safe use of products and care of animal. Customer pays for shipping for warranty claims. See our warranty page for complete details.