The BLD Mobility Support Harness (MSH)
Our custom made Mobility Support Harness is designed to provide balance support and stability for people with mobility impairments. We have designed this Service Dog harness with the dog’s physical structure and movement in mind, then added features to make it user-friendly and truly accessible. This is the most stable and ergonomic service dog harness available!
Guided by a veterinary orthopedic surgeon, this harness is design allows the dog to move, breathe, and work unencumbered by the equipment. Weight and pressure are properly distributed. Our harness does not wobble, shift, or pinch the dog.
Features, sizing, and lots of helpful information below. . .
Watch the harness in action:
Video: Measuring for your BLD HarnessMeasuring for your harness video
Document: Pricing and Measuring GuideDownload MSH Pricing, Measuring, & Ordering PDF
Mobility Support Harness Features:
- Harness provides balance support for the handler
- Custom made by hand to your specifications
- Rigid support handle for brace and balance support
- Handle is well balanced and properly supported for maximum stability
- Handle height is adjustable and folds down
- Handsome black leather with white stitching and rust-free chromed brass and stainless steel hardware
- Made with premium supple leather and real shearling sheepskin that is durable and easy to clean
- Reflective strips on handle for safety
- Easy to put on and take off the dog with 2 quick release clasps
- All straps are adjustable
- Fully padded, with no hard edges or synthetic materials to irritate the dog
- Allows dog proper freedom of movement
- Harness flexes with movement, and conforms to the dog’s anatomy
- Lightweight: weighs less than 2.5 lb. (under 3 pounds for XL size)
- Orthopedic Veterinarian and canine physical therapist approved
- Designed with replaceable straps and handle to re-fit as needed: Replacement parts are available:
- Complete harness saddle with all straps custom fitted to your service dog
- Adjustable folding handle made to your measurements
- 3 D-rings on the harness saddle
- Great Fit Guarantee: Adjustment if necessary within 4 weeks of delivery (includes new parts and shipping if needed)
- Lifetime customer service support! We’re here for you anytime you need us. Harness includes our famous lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
How to order:
You may order online, call to place your order by phone, or visit the workshop in person. Whichever method you choose, we will work with you directly to be sure we have all the details we need to make your harness.
Custom Made to your Measurements:
- Every harness is made to order!
- Please provide all the measurements and details outlined in the measuring guide (download PDF, see pages 3&4 for instructions), including the dog’s name, breed and weight, handle measurement, etc. Watch the video to see how to measure. It is helpful if we also know the name of the person using the harness (if different than the name on the order).
- You may provide the measurements and other details by phone, in an email, or type them into the “order notes” field when you check out online.
- We’ll call or email to follow up with you so we can make your harness to your specifications. Don’t worry, we’ll review the details and let you know if we have any questions about your order.
- Please know that we cannot start working on your harness until we have ALL the measurements and details outlined on the measuring guide.
- Standard size for most dogs 60-100 pounds, with a girth size from 26-34 inches (if your dog is under 60 pounds, consider the Basic Assistance Harness) -starting at $399
- Extra Large size for most dogs 100-150 pounds, with a girth size from 33-40 inches (XL size is recommended for some breeds with deep chests weighing 85 pounds or more, such as GSD’s and Dobermans) -starting at $429
- Giant size is available for dogs with a girth over 40″ or weighing more than 150 pounds–contact Katrina to customize your harness to the XXL size (add $50) -starting at $469
- All straps are made to fit your dog’s actual measurements
- Need help with sizing? Don’t worry. Just ask. We‘ll take a look at your dog’s measurements/breed/weight to be sure you get a perfect fit.
Handle size (rigid handle):
- Standard handle is up to 8″ tall (example: 3″, 4″, 6″, etc)
- TALL handle is 9″ or more (heavier gauge metal & reinforced support bars on harness saddle), up to 14″ maximum height.
- Handles are made to your measurements (both height and width), see measuring guide for instructions.
- Handles adjust 1.5″ up or down from the determined height.
Customization options to meet your needs:
- Ergonomic handle: Z-shaped grip allows more natural arm position (made for left or right hand). Highly recommended*! Excellent choice for people with pain or weakness in hand or arm, ergonomic grip lets you rest your hand on the handle without having to hold on all of the time, and keep your elbow in closer to your body; it actually feels more balanced than the standard handle. Add $50 . *If you don’t LOVE this handle grip, we’ll gladly exchange it for the standard handle and refund the $50.
- Pull-rings: a custom option for those with limited dexterity. Makes it easier to pull out the handle release mechanism. A good option if you cannot grasp and pull a small knob with your fingers. Add $25
- Optional sheepskin padding on the belly strap (recommended for very sensitive dogs and dogs with very short coats such as Great Danes and APBTs). Add $15. Most dogs do fine with the standard belly strap, so this is a personal choice for enhanced comfort.
- Guide Handle: add a second handle for a combination Guide/Mobility harness with our sturdy leather guide handle. Offers enhanced communication and feedback for leading, momentum, and sturdy pulling. Available separately for $45.
- Other modifications may be available at an additional charge. Contact us about your specific needs.
Other options and accessories for your harness (available separately):
- Pull-strap: make your harness a combination mobility and pulling harness with addition of a pull-strap. Perfect for momentum, leading, and wheelchair pulling.
- Extra knobs. Knobs hold the handle on the saddle. Since they are removable we recommend keeping an extra set handy.
- Harness Cape for visibility, has pockets for essentials
- Banner Badge: our special ID badge designed to span the handlebar
- Guide Handle: for combination guide work, leading, momentum, or sturdy pulling. Offers enhanced communication and feedback.
Harnesses take 4 weeks to complete and are built to your specifications. (Contact us if you need it faster. Rush fee applies, subject to availability.) Shipping price includes insurance and tracking via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days in USA). Yes, we ship WORLDWIDE!
Important note: dogs should be physically mature before beginning harness work. Dogs must be physically sound and of appropriate size for mobility work. Consult a veterinarian to determine your dog’s suitability for harness and/or mobility work.
Please note that due to the custom nature of this special harness, returns and refunds are not available on this product. But we are always here for support and promise to work with you if you have an issue. See our guarantee page for details.